Dr Christopher Barker
Proactive Perio offers a minimally invasive way to treat gum disease – the LANAP® protocol. Proactive Perio is one of only a few specialists’ periodontal practices in Australia to provide this new gum disease treatment. The practices’ principal dentist, Doctor Chris Barker, has recently completed intensive training in the LANAP protocol, a minimally-invasive laser periodontal treatment.
The LANAP protocol is a laser-based treatment for gum disease. There is no cutting and suturing with the treatment and patients typically report less pain and discomfort during and after the procedure, compared to traditional periodontal surgery.
The LANAP protocol is a patented periodontal treatment, cleared by the FDA in 2004 and more recently it is available in Australia. The procedure can only be done with the PerioLase® MVP-7; this laser operates at a specific wavelength that attacks the bacteria that contributes to gum disease while leaving healthy tissue intact. Post-surgical recession and tooth sensitivity, which can be significant following traditional gum surgery, are also greatly reduced.
Some of the primary benefits of LANAP laser surgery as compared to traditional cut-and-sew surgery are:
· Faster Healing – LANAP treatment is minimally invasive and allows the body to recover and heal more quickly.
· Less Discomfort – Patients report either no or significant less discomfort during and after surgery including less pain, bleeding, sensitivity and swelling.
· No Cut, No Sew, No Fear – the LANAP protocol uses laser light energy rather than traditional methods of cutting and suturing.
· Minimal Recovery Time – Most patients can immediately return to their daily routine e.g. driving, working or other activities.
· Little to No Gum Recession – Because the procedure doesn’t require cutting the gums, there is less risk of recession.
· Reduction in Gum Inflammation and Bleeding – The PerioLase® MVP-7™ targets inflammatory bacteria without injuring healthy tissue.
· Saves Teeth – Patients can keep their natural teeth sometimes even when the teeth have been deemed ‘hopeless’ with traditional treatments.
· Safe for patients with Health Concerns –LANAP® protocol is safe for patients with health concerns such as diabetes, HIV, hemophilia, or those taking medications such as Plavix or aspirin.
For more information about LANAP Protocol, visit www.LANAP.com