What is Periodontal Disease?
Periodontal diseases are infections of the gums and structures around the teeth in the mouth and are also known as gum disease. There are three phases of periodontal disease:
The ideal stage for people to be is clinical health. Gingivitis is the only stage of periodontal disease that is reversible. Left untreated, this can progress to the periodontitis. But with early intervention, people can receive periodontal disease treatments with good outcomes.
Critically, it is the persons’ immune response to certain types of bacteria in dental plaque that cause periodontal disease. As such, everyone’s body handles periodontal disease differently.
Periodontal disease progresses slowly, and it may take some time before someone is aware that they have the disease. However, there are symptoms to look for:
- swollen red gums that bleed easily
- gums that have shrunk away from the teeth
- persistent bad breath
- a bad taste in your mouth
- pus oozing from between teeth and gums
- loose teeth
Periodontal disease can be caused by poor brushing and flossing habits that allow plaque to build up on teeth and harden. So practising good oral health hygiene such as regular brushing, flossing and visits to the dentist can help stop periodontal disease. It is not just for teeth that its important to prevent periodontal diseases. Periodontal disease can impact other health problems, including:
- Heart disease
- Respiratory disease
- Metabolic disorders
- Neurological disorders
- Adverse pregnancy outcomes
This is why it is important to receive periodontal disease treatment. Treatment options that you can receive at Proactive Perio from the periodontist surgeon Brisbane is:
- Active Periodontal Therapy (APT) – is a non-surgical procedure that aims plaque and calculus deposits from the tooth and root surface.
- Periodontal Surgery – is a surgical procedure designed to restore and regenerate normal form and function to lost and damaged periodontal structures which support the teeth including the gum tissue, periodontal ligament and bone.
- LANAP – is a laser-based treatment for gum disease that does not involve any cutting or suturing.
Periodontal disease treatment is not the only thing you can do to help your teeth. Proactive Perio’s periodontist surgeon Brisbane can also provide a maintenance program to help care for your teeth. This maintenance treatment is called Guided Biofilm Therapy (GBT). GBT is a minimally invasive removal of build-up on teeth and can prevent decay and gum disease from forming.
If you think you might need periodontal disease treatment, please contact us. Proactive Perio’s philosophy is ‘keeping teeth for life’. We have periodontal disease treatment options that are pain-free and can help you ‘keep your teeth for life’.